Sunday, February 6, 2011

Italian Meatballs

spaghetti and meatballs

(adapted from this recipe)

  • 1.3 lb. lean ground beef (I used 7% fat)
  • 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1 tsp Italian seasonings
  • 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
  • 1 egg
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tbsp olive oil



In a large bowl, combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, garlic and cheese. Using your (clean) hands, mix all the ingredients well until everything is combined. Form small meatballs, about the size of a ping ping ball (1/8th cup each).



Heat the 1 tbsp olive oil on medium high in a large saute pan. Add the meatballs and saute until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. (Don't worry about cooking all the way through at this point.) When brown, place on a paper towel to soak excess oil, then add the meatballs to your sauce and cook about 20 minutes. (I just used a jarred Ragu sauce).

This is delicious on with Spaghetti or on a sub sandwich! 


make 27 meatballs (makes 9 servings of 3 meatballs each)  3 pt+

2 comments:

jcgk said...

Okay...so is it the breadcrumbs or the egg that give meatballs that squishy, spongey texture? I've never liked meatballs or meatloaf...and I think that's why. Ick. That texture gives me the willies. I'm tempted to leave both out next time I make meatballs...

Rachel Holloway said...

well the egg helps bond the meat together, or it would turn into ground beef! :) I suppose you could leave out the breadcrumbs, but truth is, meatballs just might not be your thing! I happen to love a tender meatball--but then again, I love meatloaf (made the right way) too.

Good luck in your search for your perfect meatball!