Saturday, February 26, 2011

Mini Root Beer Float cupcakes

I randomly came across this recipe on Gourmet mom on the go a while back--and it's been starred on my toolbar waiting to be made...until today. :)

We had homemade pizza for dinner, and I thought this would be a fun dessert to go with! :)


031

I love several things about this recipe.
1. It's rootbeer. And while I don't drink pop much at all, I do love a good rootbeer now and then.
2. It's INCREDIBLY easy. Like, really, really easy.

034




Ingredients: CUPCAKES

1 pkg.  Vanilla Cake Mix
1 Tbsp. Root Beer Extract  (in the spice aisle w/ the other extracts)
  (I used McCormicks root beer concentrate and it was just right!)
1 can Root Beer (I used diet root beer to cut back on the sugar)
Pirouettes or Creme Roulee wafer cookies 
Red Mini Gumballs (or other small red candy)
Clean votive candle holders or shot glasses (I used votive holders I picked up for .25 each at my local craft store. Just be sure to wash them well first!)



Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 1 Tbsp. root beer extract in 2 C. measuring cup. Fill cup with Root Beer until it reaches 1 1/2 C. Be sure to let the foam fizzle down first so you can gauge accurately! (you'll have just a little bit of root beer left in your can when you're done). Add to cake mix and stir well. No eggs, no oil, easy!!

Place shot glasses/votive holders on a baking sheet and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Fill 1/2 full with cake batter and bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes until done. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Cut round wafers in half. Put frosting in canvas bag w/ star tip (or you can just put it in a ziploc baggie and snip off one end). Pipe a dollop of icing onto each cupcake, top with a gumball and half of a wafer cookie. Serve or refrigerate until needed.



***The original recipe suggests using your favorite homemade or canned frosting, so I want to share my own recipe.  I loved the light texture--felt it was perfect for root beer floats! 

FROSTING:
1 small box vanilla or white chocolate pudding (I used fat free/sugar free white chocolate)
1 C milk
1 8 oz. container of Cool Whip free

In a bowl, mix milk and pudding together till thickened. Gently fold in cool whip till thoroughly combined. Put frosting in canvas bag w/ star tip (or you can just put it in a ziploc baggie and snip off one end). Pipe a dollop of icing onto each cupcake, top with a gumball and half of a wafer cookie. Serve or refrigerate until needed.

SERVING: 
The original recipe called for 36 mini cupcakes. I only bought 10 votive holders, and did the rest in cupcake liners. (got 12 cupcakes and 10 mini cupcakes.) I am figuring the cupcakes were about double what I put in the votive holders, and am assuming that I got 34 cupcakes out of mine.


So for my WW friends who are counting...

 34 mini cupcakes, it would be only 2 pt+ each!
or
18 regular cupcakes in wrappers would be 3 pt+ each.

The frosting is really low points as well...
I frosted all my cupcakes and still had quite a bit leftover! If you frost more than 27 cupcakes with it, it's ZERO pt+!!
Anything less comes to 1 pt+ 
(which I think it still fantastic considering what most frosting comes to!)

And 1/2 a Pirouette is 1 pt+

SO, total points for a mini cupcake with frosting and yummy round wafer: 3 pt+



3 comments:

Candace said...

Too cute!! Love this!

Amber said...

These are seriously one of my favorite cupcakes now! A lot of them are way too sweet but this one was so perfect and I LOVED the flavor of the rootbeer! I was surprised at how much it actually tasted like rootbeer. YUMMY!!! Thanks for sharing the treats and the recipe!!! :)

C Smith said...

So fun. I love it. We will definitely have to try. These would also be cute for a baby shower or something. You could do different flavors but I love the presentation in the votive.